What causes urinary incontinence?
Urinary incontinence, a common and oftentimes embarrassing problem, is the unintentional passing of urine. While it can happen to anyone, bladder control problems typically affects older people, especially women.
Types of urinary incontinence include:
- Stress incontinence. When urine leaks out at times when you exert pressure on your bladder by coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercising, or lifting something heavy.
- Urge incontinence. When you have a sudden, intense urge to pee followed by an involuntary loss of urine. Causes can be minor, such as infection, or more severe, such as diabetes.
- Overflow incontinence (chronic urinary retention). Frequent or constant dribbling of urine when you're unable to fully empty your bladder.
- Functional incontinence. A physical or mental impairment that prevents you from recognizing the need to use the toilet or get to the toilet in time.
- Total incontinence. When your bladder cannot store urine at all, which causes frequent or constant leaking.
- Mixed incontinence. Experiencing more than one type of urinary incontinence.
It's important to seek medical advice if incontinence is frequent or affecting your quality of life. The Underx brand is dedicated to creating quality incontinence products and incontinence underwear for men and women.